Monday 2 July 2012

Scratchcard


A single gold coin for thousands
Sounds like a good deal
But that’s the point of gambling
Empty promises
But with that one hope of profit from investment
Choose a number from the plastic display case
Lucky Sevens, Hundred Thousand Gold, Monopoly, Hangman, Bingo
They all play the same
The woman behind the counter smiles
At me
As we both know I am a fool
Scratch the silver skin
With a twenty pence piece
Itch
By
Itch
A group of three is all I need to satisfy my greed
Scratch
Two pound
Scratch
Two pound
Scratch
Five Thousand
A small rush from heart and stomach
Scratch
A Tenner
Scratch
A Fiver
Scratch
Five Thousand
The foil sticks and joins and grabs
To my fingers
Gently I blow it away
This could be it
My winning ticket
Scratch
A Fiver
Scratch
A Pound
A slight hesitation comes
Scratch
Two pound
I smile
Though more at myself than at these winnings
I go back to the shop
To claim it
And buy another.

No comments:

Post a Comment